WG stands for White Gold. White Gold refers to an alloy of gold and at least one white metal, such as palladium, silver, and zinc. Usually, in 18 karats, gold is 75% of the total composition and other metals are subject to the remaining 25%.

Other metals are added to improve the durability and firmness of the gold. Otherwise, the gold is so soft that it will bend and lose its shape. Therefore, it is important to add certain other metals to specific compositions.

The higher the karat, the purer the gold will be. It is further explained below:

What is 10k WG means?

In 10k white gold, 14 parts are of other metals and 10 parts are of yellow gold: making yellow gold 41.7% of the total gold. We can say that in comparison to 14k or 18k, it has a solid surface as it will be the toughest to break, but it will have the lowest composition of the actual gold.

What is 14k WG means?

In 14k, white gold is purer in comparison to 10k, as its alloy consist of 58.3% of gold and the rest of the composition consists of total metals – 41.7%. It is true that 14k will be more durable and affordable in comparison to higher Karats.

What does 18k WG mean?

As stated earlier, 18k white gold has 75% gold of the total composition which makes it the purest of all karats less than 18k. It is brighter and looks better than the 14k or 10k. However, in terms of appearance, 14k or 18k would look the same to you but the composition matters the most as the price is set accordingly.

What is a WG ring?

White gold rings are made of a mixture of gold and other metals such as nickel, silver, and palladium. It is not entirely made of gold, other metals help to toughen the gold and improve its lastingness of the gold. It is highly used at weddings by both men and women.

It looks precious especially when used with the diamond, even it is more cost friendly then platinum. There is no ambiguity that platinum is purer and denser, but for most people white gold tends to provide value for money.

What is a WG ring worth?

The price of any gold product is measured by identifying the percentage of gold composition in the final product.

The higher composition of gold would mean that the ring is going to be expensive, which means that an 18k ring would be more expensive than a 14k ring or 10k ring.

But the question really is, will a 10k ring serve your purpose? For engagement purposes, 18k or 14k is preferred over 24k or 10k.

There is no doubt that 24k is the purest of all other karats, but it is so soft that can break easily, and it is the most expensive. Hence, it will be a little hard on the pockets.

Price can range from $180 to $2500 (for a vintage ring); cost is dependent on the value of white gold used, the design of the ring, and the vendor’s margin.


Most people prefer to use 18k for the quality of the gold project, but it is expensive. Therefore, people tend to switch towards 14k which provides value for money. In terms of the quality, there is very little difference between 14k and 18k; hence, 14k is preferred.

Write A Comment