Jewelry is a form of art for self and productive expression. Some people use jewelry as part of their tradition and civilization.

Have you ever come across certain letters or symbols inscribed on jewelry? But you don’t understand its meaning. These letters are the initials of the person who carved the jewelry, or the initials of the company that sells the jewelry.

Some manufacturers prefer to tag their stuff. It means that letters like DM are likely to denote the producer or highlight the name of the jewelry’s owner. As for the designer, it may denote DM jewelry designs or DM Merchandising Inc, a corporation in Elmhurst, USA.

This company focuses on wholesale jewelry. It is an organization of brands. Over the last 30 years, the firm has grown from a small jewelry shop in the Merchandise Mart of Chicago into a separate powerhouse of turn-key merchandising solutions.

What does DM 925 mean on jewelry?

DM is the maker’s symbol. According to US law, a manufacturer’s mark and the metal content stamp are required on all jewelry. It is used as evidence to distinguish between real and fake jewelry.

925 is a standard sign used to mark sterling silver and this stamp indicates that the silver content in the piece is 92.5%. The remaining 7.5% metal content in the jewelry is made of other elements.

What does D mean on gold chain?

D stamped on a gold chain signifies that the article is gold-filled or gold-plated. Gold-plated jewelry is brass, copper, or low-end metal electroplated with a coating of gold. It is usually less valuable than vermeil which is real gold.

Gold-plated jewelry doesn’t require any minimum karat weight or thickness. Gold-filled jewelry is composed of a solid layer of gold attached to a base of another metal such as sterling silver and copper. It is more durable and shinier as compared to solid gold. 


While buying a jewelry item, you may find some letters carvings, like DM, DM 925, and D inside rings and necklaces. DM refers to DM merchandising corporation, DM 925 indicates that the piece is composed of sterling silver mainly and D means gold-plated or gold-filled.

Knowing what the stamps mean will assist you when purchasing different kinds of jewelry by making informed purchases.

Check out our article on What does KA 1772 mean on Jewelry?

Write A Comment